St. Paulís Lutheran Church
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
óNewport Heritage Park ó
First recorded Lutheran services were held in Newport homes and school houses by the Rev. John W. Heim as early as 1830. Preaching was done in German until 1842 when the pastor was requested to speak English also.
Formally organized in 1844 under the leadership of the Rev. Levi T. Williams, services were held at the brick school on 2nd St. From 1847 to 1874, members shared space in the townís first formal religious edifice, the Union Church, with the Presbyterian and Reformed congregations. The Union Church was located where the 1959 Newport Post Office new stands. St. Paulís sold their one-third interest to the Presbyterians in 1877. The Reformed Church constructed its own facility in 1868.
The St. Paulís Romanesque style edifice was constructed in 1874 by builder Joshua Sweger for $15.000 which included land and furnishings. The auditorium could seat approximately 500 persons, which at that time was probably the largest indoor space in Perry County. St. Paulís was the first church in the Synod of Central Pennsylvania to have a pipe organ, installed ca 1885. The current organ dates from 1912, and Maas chimes were installed in 1947.
During World War II, the decaying timbered
(Inscription under the photo in the upper left)
Pictured is St. Paulís with its original steeple; the former Methodist Church is in background on 4th and Market Streets. This picture taken prior to 1905 when the Pennsylvania Railroad mainline ran down 3rd Street in Newport.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
The Rev. Levi T. Williams, pastor 1843-45 when the congregation formed.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper right)
In 1884 a windstorm damaged the steeple. Pictured at the top of the steeple, 125 feet off the ground doing repairs, are Daniel W. Gantt, left, and builder Joshua Sweger.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Abraham Aughe, pastor 1871-1876, when the church was constructed.
St. Paul stands as a symbol of the values of a people whose faith lives on “from age to age the sameí.
Erected 2015 by Historical Society of Perry County.
Location. 40° 28.61′ N, 77° 7.952′ W. Marker is in Newport, Pennsylvania, in Perry County. Marker is on Market Street (PA 34). Touch for map. The park is located next
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newport Heritage Park (here, next to this marker); Newport Fugitive Slave Rescue (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson Long Military Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carson Long Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away); Donald Campbell Willard (approx. 4.8 miles away); Perry County (approx. 4.9 miles away); New Bloomfield World War I Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Perry County Civil War Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.