Near Sinclair in Carbon County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Town of Ft. Steele
Boom and Bust
—1889 to 1940's —
Some of the old barracks and other buildings at Ft. Steele were used as gasoline stations, cafes, motels and the like until U.S. 30 was re-routed and paved a few years later at its present location near I-80. The largest hotel at Ft. Steele burnt down in November 1923; it had been established in 1868 as a military barracks. The hotel had 22 rooms and the last known owner was E.J. Bower who had tried to sell it
Marker series. This marker is included in the Transcontinental Railroad marker series.
Location. 41° 46.621′ N, 106° 56.737′ W. Marker is near Sinclair, Wyoming, in Carbon County. Marker can be reached from County Route 374 near Interstate 80. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sinclair WY 82334, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Well Traveled Sawmill (here, next to this marker); Carbon Timber Company (here, next to this marker); Brownsville and Benton (here, next to this marker); Railroad and River (here, next to this marker); Bridge Tender's House (a few steps from this marker); Image of Fort Fred Steele (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock Springs Massacre (about 300 feet away); Major Thomas Tipton Thornburgh (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sinclair.
More about this marker. This marker, among a grouping of a half-dozen other markers, is located at Fort Fred Steele State Park on County Road 347, north of the Interstate 80 Exit 228 and on the south side of the railroad tracks near where County Road 347 passes beneath the railroad bridge.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 243 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.