Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Temple in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Temple

 
 
City of Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
1. City of Temple Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1881, on the Santa Fe line, Temple, like dozens of Texas towns, owed its beginning to the railroad and was, in fact, named for a Santa Fe official, B.M. Temple. On June 29, 1881, a gala town lot sale, with free barbecue, was held by promoters. In 1882, the Missouri Kansas, & Texas built through and soon after, Santa Fe made Temple a division point.
     For some time, however, Temple was a town of shacks and tents with the usual large number of saloons and tough characters found in the early West. Locally, it was called “Tanglefoot”, because some citizens found that the combination of muddy streets and liquor made walking rather difficult at times.
     In 1882, the town was incorporated and two private schools began. The Temple Academy was soon organized and a public school was established in 1884.
     In 1893, the annual Temple “Stag Party” began, growing out of a private Thanksgiving celebration attended by the town’s leading men. It was held until 1923.
     Today Temple is known as a major hospital center of the South, for located here are Santa Fe Hospital (founded 1891), King’s Daughters Hospital (1896), the Scott and White Hospital (1904), and the Veterans Administration (formerly McCloskey) Hospital (1942).
 
Erected 1968 by Texas
Texas Forestry Association and<br>City of Temple Markers image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
2. Texas Forestry Association and
City of Temple Markers
State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5224.)
 
Location. 31° 5.836′ N, 97° 20.47′ W. Marker is in Temple, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main Street and Adams Avenue (Texas Highway 53), on the left when traveling north on N. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Temple City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N. Main St, Temple TX 76501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association (here, next to this marker); Pool of Tears Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Bernard Moore Temple (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilson Van Dyke (approx. 10 miles away); Bell County (approx. 11 miles away); Little River Fort (approx. 11 miles away); Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Planing Mill (approx. 11.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Temple.
 
Also see . . .  Temple, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 26, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Plaque underneath City of Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
3. Plaque underneath City of Temple Marker
Temple City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
4. Temple City Hall
View to west across N. Main St
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 26, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement