The Railroad in Mazomanie
The Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Company, immediate successor of the Milwaukee and Waukesha formed in 1850, built the first railroad line across Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien. Edward H. Brodhead was hired as Chief Engineer in 1851 and selected Mazomanie as a site for fueling, watering, and servicing locomotives. The railroad was officially opened to Mazomanie on June 7, 1856.
Two special trains operated from the village during the 1800s. A "wood train" obtained wood to fuel the steam locomotives. A construction train and crew performed emergency work both east and west of Mazomanie. Quarters located on the second floor of the depot provided housing and dining facilities for these and other railroad crews.
During the height of nineteenth-century railroading, there were as many as five side tracks in addition to the main line in the Mazomanie railroad corridor. An engine house, turntable, and water tower were located between Brodhead and Cramer Streets. A branch line to Sauk City and Prairie du Sac was completed in 1881 and a wye added in 1942.
On July 1, 1982, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation bought the right-of-way and on July 6, 1982, the last train operated by the Milwaukee Road passed through the village. Subsequent operators included the Wisconsin and Western, the Wisconsin and Calumet,
Location. 43° 10.536′ N, 89° 47.606′ W. Marker is in Mazomanie, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Brodhead Street (County Road Y) and the railroad grade crossing, on the right when traveling north on Brodhead Street. Touch for map. Marker is along the path leading east from the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Mazomanie WI 53560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Flag on the Bluff (a few steps from this marker); Mazomanie (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mazomanie Downtown Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mazomanie Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Branch Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mazomanie Electric Power Plant (about 300 feet away); The Turntable, The Engine House, The Water Tower (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mazomanie.
Also see . . .
1. History for Village of Mazomanie WI. (Submitted on October 28, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railway Company Brief History. (Submitted on October 28, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.