Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York City in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Gabarron Foundation

Formerly the George S. Bowdoin Stable

 

149 East 38th Street

 
The Gabarron Foundation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
1. The Gabarron Foundation Marker
Inscription. Designed by Ralph S. Townsend in the Dutch Revival Style, this Stable was erected in 1902. George S. Bowdoin, a partner in the banking firm of J.P. Morgan and Company, bought the building in 1907 to serve as the private stable for his nearby residence. The facade is distinguished by oversized quoins and vouissors and an elaborate stepped gable featuring a bulldog sculpted in high relief. Two horse heads above the ground floor allude to the building's use. Later a garage and now the Gabarron Foundation Carriage House Center for the Arts, the building serves as a reminder of a time when stables were an important part of daily city life.
 
Erected 2008 by New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation.
 
Location. 40° 44.916′ N, 73° 58.613′ W. Marker is in New York City, New York, in New York County. Marker is on East 38th Street west of 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 East 38th Street, New York NY 10016, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Paul II House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mary Lindley Murray (approx. 0.2 miles away); 23 Park Avenue
The Gabarron Foundation Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
2. The Gabarron Foundation Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here between the middle- and right-hand doors.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); New York Daily News Building (approx. mile away); Grand Central Terminal (approx. mile away); "The Kneeling Fireman" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Grolier Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); New York Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York City.
 
Regarding The Gabarron Foundation. Vouissor = a wedge-shaped stone used in building an arch or vault.


Note that the marker may be due for a name change at some point in the near future, as the Gabarron Foundation put the property on the market recently.
 
Also see . . .  George S. Bowdoin Stable. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission's PDF description of the property, including sections on the architect, the location (Murray Hill), why the building may have been sited on that location, its uses, and an extended description and numerous photographs. (Submitted on October 29, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
Horse's Head Alluding to the Building's Use image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
3. Horse's Head Alluding to the Building's Use
Stepped Gable with Bulldog image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
4. Stepped Gable with Bulldog
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement