Cobourg in Northumberland County, Ontario — Central Canada
Cobourg and Peterborough Railway
Largely financed by the citizens and town, Cobourg's railway to Peterborough was chartered 1852 and opened 1854. Like many others of this period, it suffered from excessive optimism, land speculation and faulty engineering. Ice made the three-mile-long Rice Lake bridge unsafe and finally destroyed it 1860–61, ending use of the northern section. Reorganized in 1866, the remaining part carried considerable iron ore from Marmora. The line was acquired by the Grand Trunk in 1893 and closed 1898.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 43° 57.413′ N, 78° 10.035′ W. Marker is in Cobourg, Ontario, in Northumberland County. Marker is on 3rd Street 0.2 kilometers south of Albert Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent the Cobourg Marina.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founding of Cobourg (here, next to this marker); Victoria Hall (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named Victoria Hall (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); William Weller (approx. half a kilometer away); Ryerson Walk Marie Dressler (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Church of St. Peter (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Victoria College (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cobourg.
Also see . . . Cobourg History - Cobourg and Peterborough Railway. (Submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.