Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knippa in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Knippa

 
 
Town of Knippa Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, October 28, 2015
1. Town of Knippa Marker
Inscription. Served by the Texas & New Orleans Railroad since 1882, this area was settled in 1887 by George Knippa. A freighter who worked between East Texas and Mexico, Knippa also encouraged many friends to move to the fertile land of this county. In 1899 gold-mining was tried here by an aged, white-bearded stranger known as Wilson. In 1900 the community acquired a post office and in 1909 a town was laid out. Previously called Chatfield, it was renamed Knippa. The Trap Rock Mine, a stone and gravel business which started in 1913, is still in operation.
 
Erected 1969 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5533.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 29° 17.67′ N, 99° 38.264′ W. Marker is in Knippa, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on U.S. 90, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knippa TX 78870, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garner Army Air Field (approx. 8.2 miles away); Site of Camp Sabinal (approx. 9.5 miles away); Sabinal Methodist Church
Town of Knippa Marker location with US Hwy 90 in the foreground image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, October 28, 2015
2. Town of Knippa Marker location with US Hwy 90 in the foreground
(approx. 10.4 miles away); Reading Wood Black (approx. 10.7 miles away); Kincaid Hotel (approx. 10.7 miles away); Uvalde County Courthouse (approx. 10.7 miles away); Uvalde County (approx. 10.7 miles away); Grand Opera House (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement