Carlton in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cobblestone Wall Section
Cobblestone Construction Piece by Piece
—Architecture of the Coast —
Cobblestone construction was born in this area. The example here is a composite of several materials and styles that can be seen within a short distance of this park. The word 'cobblestone' comes from the English word 'cob', meaning a rounded lump, combined with the word 'stone'.
Rubble core. Field stone inner wall.
Composed of lime, sand, and water, the mortar joints were tooled to overhang the course below like clapboards. V'd joints. Mortar tooled to a raised peak between stones. Random height pattern.
Limekilns were built into the side of a hill for ease of top loading. Lime, called quicklime after processing, was produced by heating limestone rock to 2000° in a hardwood-fired kiln. The limestone changes to a form that dissolves into a paste when water is added. It is cured for a time and mixed with sand to make the mortar for masonry construction.
Naturally rounded stones, smoothed by tumbling in shoreline glacial deposits, that can be held in one hand. Rounded, glacier-smoothed stone. Flat, lake-washed stone. Herringbone pattern.
Hand-shaped Medina Sandstone used at corners, where pieces were sized to equal four courses of cobbles. Sandstone was also used for sills, and lintels, the pieces
★ Cobblestone Church Museum and Gift Shop. Approximate location of a cobblestone structure. Many of these structures are private. Please respect property rights. For more information on cobblestones, visit the Cobblestone Museum and Gift Shop near the intersection of Route 104 and 98 in Childs.
1860 Cobblestone construction replaced by modern methods.
1855 Era at its peak with fancy patterns and styles. These structures were often post and beam framework, finished with a cobblestone veneer.
Mid-1830s Solid masonry gives way to firred walls to create a ventilating airspace.
1834 Cobblestone church, site of the Cobblestone Museum, built.
1825-1831 Earliest known cluster of cobblestone buildings. These buildings featured simple designs and solid masonry walls.
1825 Steward Canfield house built, possibly the earliest major cobblestone house. Erie Canal opened.
Rare matrials found along the Seaway Trail were combined to create structures of utility and beauty.
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway marker series.
Location. 43° 21.728′ Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to a shelter in Orleans County Marine Park, just south of the Lake Ontario Parkway overpasses. The park is along the east side of Oak Orchard Creek. The marker faces away from the road. Marker is in this post office area: Kent NY 14477, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fishing Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away); July 1813 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sir William Johnson (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fording Place (approx. 3 miles away); Pioneer Settler (approx. 5.1 miles away); Home of Katherine Belle Rowley (approx. 5.2 miles away); Gaines District No.5 1849 School House (approx. 5.2 miles away); At Left: Cobblestone House / At Right: Cobblestone House (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlton.
Also see . . . Cobblestone Society Museum. (Submitted on November 2, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 2, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.