Gilbert in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Did you know that the pump house also served occasionally as a temporary jail to hold “rowdy citizens” while they sobered up? Gilbert sent their law-breakers to Chandler or Mesa prior to the construction of the town hall in 1938. A permanent jail was located in the rear portion of the building.
Erected by Gilbert Leadership Class xx 2012. A program of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.
Location. 33° 21.283′ N, 111° 47.425′ W. Marker is in Gilbert, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on West Page Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker and pump house are located at the Water Tower Plaza located on the corner of West Page Avenue and North Ash Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 West Page Avenue, Gilbert AZ 85233, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Creed Building (within Dance Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bank of Gilbert (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tone Building (about 300 feet away); Clement's Garage (about 600 feet away); Gilbert Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gilbert Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilbert.
Regarding Pump House. The water tower was originally built in 1927 and instantly became a town icon and source of great pride for all the members of the Gilbert community where it served to store water for firefighting and later stored drinking water until 1985. When the water tower went out of service, the fate of the water tower was in question, however the Gilbert Town Council took the necessary steps and the water tower was preserved and the plaza was created.
Gilbert's water tower, now restored, is alongside an old adobe pump house that was originally Gilbert's first jail.
Categories. • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2015, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 3, 2015, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.