Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—The Pennsylvania Railroad Mainline —
The Main Line, which first connected Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in 1852, is significant locally for fostering the growth of some of Pittsburgh's earliest suburbs. Shadyside and East Liberty, the two neighborhoods connected by the South Highland Avenue Bridge—the bridge at your feet—were largely farmland until the PRR arrived—and with it, commuter service to downtown.
Soon the world's wealthiest industrialists were moving their families here beyond the smoky working-class districts. In 1868, the Main Line spurred annexation into the city of twenty-one square miles of rapidly expanding East End Suburbs.
By 1876, the first bridge on this site was completed as part of a program to improve safety by eliminating at-grade crossings. Over the years, the bridge was reinforced a number of times, in part to accommodate heavier streetcar and automobile traffic. The superstructure was replaced in 1925 and again in 2013, though the 1876 stone pier and abutments remain underneath.
Rail travel declined in the early 20th century as the automobile increased access to more remote suburbs. By the early decades of the 21st century, what was
Erected 2013 by Federal Highway Administration, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, City of Pittsburgh.
Location. 40° 27.546′ N, 79° 55.511′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from South Highland Avenue 0.1 miles south of Centre Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is part of a display erected on the sidewalk parapet of the newly refurbished South Highland Avenue Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Portal of Industry (a few steps from this marker); Motor Square Garden (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); East Liberty Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Drive-In Filling Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Highwood (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society. (Submitted on November 5, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 5, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.