Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Courthouse Annex

Court Street

 
 
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
1. Courthouse Annex Marker
Inscription. The second Bradford County Courthouse, located directly behind the present Courthouse, was constructed in 1847 and occupied in 1850. It was not long before the growing business of the county caused the Courthouse to become overcrowded. An annex was erected in 1857 housing offices of the prothonotary and register and recorder. From 1903 to 1974 the annex served the Bradford County Historical Society as its headquarters. The brick “fireproof annex” has a hipped roof design; stone lintels and sills; decorative brick work; center parahet; and a cut stone foundation.
 
Location. 41° 46.016′ N, 76° 26.54′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towanda PA 18848, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradford County Soldiers & Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradford County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Bradford County Jail
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
2. Courthouse Annex Marker
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen Foster (about 700 feet away); The Daily Review (about 700 feet away); Towanda Academy (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement