Wise in Wise County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KA-19.)
Location. 36° 58.206′ N, 82° 33.61′ W. Marker is in Wise, Virginia, in Wise County. Marker is on Thomas Jefferson Drive (Route 382) north of Coeburn Mountain Road (Route 646), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. It is off the parking lot next to Joseph C. Smiddy Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Wise VA 24293, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wise (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gladeville in the Civil War Wise (approx. 1.6 miles away); Napoleon Hill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Norton / Coeburn (approx. 3½ miles away); Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Norton (approx. 4.6 miles away); Coeburn (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wise.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “The college was first conceived by local residents who petitioned the University of Virginia to establish a college in Wise. As support for a college grew, the Commonwealth of Virginia appropriated $5,000 to open, staff, and operate the college as a two-year junior college on a trial basis for a year; and if successful, another $5,000 would be available for a second year. In the winter of 1954, the local community matched the commonwealth’s funds and collected over $6,000 to furnish the classrooms and use for supplies. Wise County donated over 400-acre of property that included two sandstone buildings, the property had once served as the county's poor farm. Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia opened in September 1954 with an enrollment of 100 freshmen. Clinch Valley College became the westernmost state-supported college in Virginia. Prior to its opening, Virginia lacked public colleges west of Radford.” (Submitted on November 22, 2015.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the campus • Can you help?