Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Big Stone Gap in Wise County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Origins of Big Stone Gap

 
 
Origins of Big Stone Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
1. Origins of Big Stone Gap Marker
Inscription. This was the site of the Gilley famly farm, settled by John and Mary Barger Gilley about 1790. The family cemetery was located just south at the end of Graveyard Alley. Named Imboden after Brig. Gen. John D. Imboden when it was laid out on parts of the Gilley, Horton, and Flanary farms, the town was incorporated on 7 Apr. 1882 as Mineral City. Its name was changed to Big Stone Gap on 23 Feb. 1888, when the town boundaries were enlarged. Soon, as several railroads converged here, the town grew due to the importance of the iron and coal mining industries.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KA-12.)
 
Location. 36° 52.097′ N, 82° 46.381′ W. Marker is in Big Stone Gap, Virginia, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of Wood Avenue East (County Route 610) and East Jerome Street South, on the right when traveling east on Wood Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Stone Gap VA 24219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Stone Gap (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carl Martin (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Big Stone Gap
Origins of Big Stone Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
2. Origins of Big Stone Gap Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Southwest Virginia Museum (approx. half a mile away); Appalachia (approx. 2.6 miles away); Donelson’s Indian Line (approx. 4 miles away); Seminary United Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Turkey Cove (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Stone Gap.
 
Also see . . .  Streets of Big Stone Gap, Virginia. “Wallens Ridge Boulevard was named for Elisha Wallen, who was an early explorer during the time that Daniel Boone trail blazed through these mountains and Little Stone Mountain made a V with its point at Little Stone Gap. Within the V lies Powell Valley and the town of Big Stone Gap. At the open mouth of the V, another mountain pushes west of East Stone Gap, this is called Wallens Ridge.” (Submitted on November 23, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement