Near Bondurant in Sublette County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
On October 10 1812, six Astorians led by Robert Stuart camped here on their return trip to St. Louis to report the establishment of Fort Astoria on the Oregon coast.
On Sunday, August 23, 1835, Jim Bridger's brigade of trappers and Indians, accompanied by Reverend Samuel Parker, camped here after departing the Green River Rendezvous. This basin was then known as Jackson's Little Hole. Reverend Parker was delivering a sermon to the group when buffalo appeared. The congregation left for the hunt without staying for the benediction. This was the first Protestant service held in the Rocky Mountains.
Erected by Sublette County Museum Board.
Location. 43° 14.725′ N, 110° 28.595′ W. Marker is near Bondurant, Wyoming, in Sublette County. Marker is on U.S. 189 near Forest Road 30530, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14737 U.S. Highway 189, Bondurant WY 82922, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reverend Samuel Parker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of St. Hubert the Hunter and Library (approx. 4.7 miles away); Granite Hot Springs Swimming Pool (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.