Dungannon in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1984 by Virginia Historic Landmark Commission. (Marker Number K-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 marker series.
Location. 36° 49.647′ N, 82° 28.134′ W. Marker is in Dungannon, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Virginia Route 65 west of Route 72, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. It is at the Dungannon Depot. Marker is in this post office area: Dungannon VA 24245, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dungannon Depot (a few steps from this marker); Flanary Archaeological Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick Hagan and Dungannon Kilgore Fort House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 7.7 miles away); Mooreís Fort (approx. 7.9 miles away); Coeburn (approx. 8 miles away); Houstonís Fort (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dungannon.
Also see . . . Frontier Forts in Southwestern Virginia. 1968 article by Emory L. Hamilton in Historical Sketches of Southwest Virginia. “Other than the old Kilgore fort house which is still standing, Porterís Fort was perhaps the most widely known fort house in present day Scott Co. It was the home of Patrick Porter, who emigrated from Guilford Co., NC, in October, 1772, and established his fort-house and grist mill on the waters of Falling Creek, near Dungannon. This was nothing more than a strongly built fort-house and according to the pension statement of his son, John Porter, it was built only for family protection. It is well authenticated that the Porter family sheltered in Mooreís Fort during Indian forays, and Patrick served in the militia protecting this fort in the year 1774. There is no factual evidence that Porterís Fort was ever under direct Indian attack. Just below the falls of Falling Creek, Patrick Porter built his grist mill, the first ever approved by court order on the Clinch river, permission being granted by the court of old Fincastle County, in 1774. Despite the fact that it was the first mill ever approved for the Clinch, it was not the first mill. The Lynch Mill at upper Castlewood was in operation for sometime before Porterís Mill was erected, but no order has been found granting permission for this mill. Patrick Porter was born in 1739, and had married Susanna, the daughter of John and Ann Houston Walker.” (Submitted on November 27, 2015.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.