Near Dickensonville in Russell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John, wife Frankey Lea and some of their 15 children are buried one mile east-northeast of the mill At 36° 55' 45" N, 82° 09' 23" W. Most American Jessees are their descendants.
Erected 2004 by Jessee Historical Foundation.
Location. 36° 53.026′ N, 82° 9.296′ W. Marker is near Dickensonville, Virginia, in Russell County. Marker is on Virginia Route 71 near Jessees Mill Road (County Route 645), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland VA 24225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glade Hollow Fort (approx. 2.2 miles away); Russell Courthouse Old Russell County Courthouse (approx. 5.8 miles away); Russell’s Fort (approx. 6.6 miles away); Dorton’s Fort (approx. 8.6 miles away); Moore’s Fort (approx. 9.9 miles away); Frances Dickenson Scott Johnson (approx. 11.1 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 12˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dickensonville.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for Jessee’s Mill. The earliest part of the mill is a weatherboarded two-story, one-room structure of massive hardwood logs, hand hewn on two sides and V-notched at the corners, set upon an embanked foundation of dry-laid, roughly cut and uncut stone. The entire log structure now comprises the basement of the existing mill building. It was rectangular in plan, measuring 18 ft. by 30ft., and was proportionally quite tall in its original form, with at least two stories and an attic space. It had window openings on the first and second levels on the north and south elevations, but none on the east elevation. Early-period
Like many other gristmills of the period, Jessees Mill is now four stories tall in order for the milling process to use gravity to full advantage. The c.1897 section of the mill added several times to the building’s mass. It consists of a light balloon
After 1897, the mill was entered mainly by a doorway at the second floor level, on the uphill (west) side of the building. Just to the right of the doorway once stood a chimney with anexceptionally tall stack, needed to clear the roof. Its shape and dimensions are clearly indicated by differential weathering on the weatherboards. The chimney was constructed of handmade bricks and lime/sand mortar, and served only one hearth, in the small southwest-corner office on the second floor. Fireplaces are said to have been rare in mills because of explosive fine powder atmospheres.
The second floor and third floors house the corn cleaner, wheat cleaner and flour grader or bolter, together with the complex system of bins, hoppers, troughs, shafts, belts, pulleys, and chains powering them via a long belt from the main shaft in the basement.
The large, brick, c.1897 Andrew Jackson Jessee House, associated with the mill, is situated on the east side of Route 645, across the road from the mill. The house is notable for its scale, its Queen Anne style characteristics and unusual rusticated brick window arches, as well as its high level of integrity. A late 19th C. frame miller's cottage is sited north of the A.J. Jessee House, also on Rt. 645. The frame Mill Creek Church (mid-20th-century) lies just to the southwest of the intersection of Rts. 645 & 640, cater-corner from the one-room frame Jessees Mill schoolhouse, which appears to date to the early 20th century. These resources are currently held by other owners, and therefore are not being nominated at this time. (Submitted on November 28, 2015.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 28, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the A.J. Jessee House, Mill Creek Church, and Jessees Mill schoolhouse • Can you help?