Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Place You Tread is Holy Ground-”
on the 4th of July 1779 was held the first
public - religious commemoration of the
Declaration of Independence.
Attendance at the Holy Mass, then sung, was
The Continental Congress, The President
and official head of the new government,
the officers of the army and navy,
and the French and Spanish Ministers-
at the close of the
following the surrender of the British under
Cornwallis to Washington at Yorktown
the armies of the Republic and of France joined
in a solemn mass of thanksgiving and the conquered flags of Great Britain were laid upon
the altar steps of this old church of
November 4th, 1781
"God of Our Fathers - Be With Us Yet"
Location. 39° 56.747′ N, 75° 8.899′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and St. James Place, on the right when traveling south on 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old St. Mary's ( here, next to this marker); Manuel Torres ( here, next to this marker); Honor the Immortal Dead ( here, next to this marker); Old St. Mary Cemetery ( here, next to this marker); Old St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church ( a few steps from this marker); Barry ( a few steps from this marker); Caspar Wistar ( a few steps from this marker); Philosophić et Scientić Domus ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Other markers at St. Mary's church and cemetery.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Government • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 67 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.