Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tulia in Swisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tulia Depot

 
 
Tulia Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Tulia Depot Marker
Inscription. The town of Tulia, established in 1887 on the Tule Ranch division of the JA ranch, received an economic boost in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railroad. When Tulia began, the nearest rail connection was more than 100 miles away in Colorado City or Quanah. Even after 1888, when rail was extended to Amarillo, a trip from Tulia could take days in inclement weather. In 1906, the Tulia Board of Trade raised funds to entice rail companies to build a line to Tulia. Avery Turner, vice-president and general manager of the Pecos Valley and Northeastern, had surveyed potential new routes through the region, and in Jan. 1906 grading was underway south from Canyon for an extension of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway along Turnerís survey. The first train to stop in Tulia arrived in Dec. 1906.

A. J. Bivens donated land for a frame depot built north of the present site. After this depot burned in 1915, a new facility was built in 1916-17, combining a passenger station, express office and freight house. This single-story brick and stucco building exhibits mission revival style architecture typical of Santa Fe depots, including a deep overhanging ceramic tile roof, prominent brackets, and projecting bays with peaked parapets and the Santa Fe logo. A narrow passageway divided gentlemenís and ladiesí waiting rooms, with
Tulia Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Tulia Depot Marker
the ticket office facing the railroad tracks. The baggage room was north of the passenger section. The coming of the railroad was a milestone in the development of Tulia and Swisher County, bringing heavy commercial and passenger activity. In 1987, the Santa Fe railway demolished the baggage area, but concerned citizens and Swisher county officials helped save the remaining structure. The depot at the head of Broadway Avenue remains a focal point of the town.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16606.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway marker series.
 
Location. 34° 32.231′ N, 101° 46.655′ W. Marker is in Tulia, Texas, in Swisher County. Marker is on West Broadway west of Railroad Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tulia TX 79088, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Methodist Church of Tulia (approx. 0.6 miles away); JA Ranch Cabin
Tulia Depot image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Tulia Depot
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Flynt Building (approx. ĺ mile away); Ozark Trails Association (approx. ĺ mile away); Swisher County (approx. ĺ mile away); a different marker also named Swisher County (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rose Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulia.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement