Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1889 the Plainview Masonic Lodge constructed a two-story frame building west of this site. The second floor was used for lodge meetings and the ground floor was occupied by the school, which became known as The Llano Estacado Institute for Male and Female in 1893. The building served as the schoolhouse until it burned in 1902.
Shortly after the organization of the Plainview Independent School District in 1902, the elementary school was renamed in honor of the noted Texas leader Mirabeau B. Lamar. A two-story schoolhouse at this site was moved in 1910 when the original section of the present building was constructed.
Later used as a vocational training center, Lamar School reflects the pioneer educational, social, and religious growth of the community.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3017.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schick Opera House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. half a mile away); Green Machinery Co., Inc. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.