Hale Center in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Epworth
(1883 – 1892)
—(1 ¼ miles southwest) —
Graves carried the mail from Estacado; also sold supplies to settlers and XIT Ranch cowboys. In 1891 he moved his post office several miles and started New Epworth; but drouth caused site to be abandoned in 1893. The residents joined with those of Hale City to found Hale Center.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4778.)
Location. 34° 3.871′ N, 101° 50.712′ W. Marker is in Hale Center, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and East Clevland Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Main Street, Hale Center TX 79041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J. Frank Norfleet (here, next to this marker); Nils Akeson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Hale Center Ranching and Farming in Hale County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Snyder Community (approx. 9.1 miles away); Hale County (approx. 10.2 miles away); Halfway (approx. 10½ miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hale Center.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.