Sheridan in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Historic Sheridan Inn
The Inn was built by the railroad and the Sheridan Land Company. The railroad caused Sheridan to grow and prosper at the expense of other communities in the area.
Like many other visitors from the East, "Miss Kate" Arnold arrived by train. She was employed at the Inn from 1901 until 1965. Some people believe that her spirit still watches over the Inn.
Erected by Sheridan County Centennial Committee.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 44° 48.393′ N, 106° 57.222′ W. Marker is in Sheridan, Wyoming, in Sheridan County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street and East 5th Street (Wyoming Highway 336), on the right when traveling south on Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 856 Broadway Street, Sheridan WY 82801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Class 0-5-A Mohawk Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); First Cabin in Sheridan The Black Diamonds of Sheridan County (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Black Diamond Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Sheridan Railway Company (approx. 0.7 miles away); Trail End (approx. 0.7 miles away); General George Crook (approx. 0.7 miles away); Big Horns (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheridan.
Also see . . . The Historic and Haunted Sheridan Inn - Legends of America. This historic inn, now on the National Register of Historic Places, opened its doors on May 27, 1893 complete with electrical power which ran from a coal-fired threshing machine engine. A whistle would be blown at midnight to remind everyone that the building’s 200 lights should be turned off. (Submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.