Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John B. & Ketura Douglas House
The high Victorian wood frame edifice was probably erected as a 2-story building with a 3-story tower. The family modified the house in stages as their fortunes rose. The first addition was a one-story wing to the south of the tower, a feature in place by 1884. The footprint of the house was enlarged, primarily with a one-story wing at the rear of the house, by 1898. A second story was added to the rear wing in the early 20th century. Between 1902 and 1907, the one-story gable roof kitchen with cutaway bay window and hipped roof, originally oriented to the south, was rotated 90 degrees to face east. Other major changes were complete by 1912.
The structure's highly textured exterior features, such as clapboard siding, shingles in two patterns, flat board window molding, belt courses and end boards and carved and pierced plates and brackets are characteristic of high Victorian design. The John B. and Ketura Douglas house is the only identified extant example of high Victorian residential design in Tyler
The house passed to the Douglases' son upon Kettie's death, and was sold in 1927 to its longtime occupants. It remains a vivid reminder of late 19th century Tyler and its leading citizens.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12193.)
Location. 32° 20.841′ N, 95° 17.901′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on South Fannin Avenue north of East Front Street (Texas Highway 31), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 S Fannin Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1881 Smith County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Miller Morgan (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (approx. ¼ mile away); Tyler Carnegie Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Tyler Commercial College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding John B. & Ketura Douglas House. This nicely restored home is still a private residence.
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.