1755? - 1809
First printer and publisher in the Northwest Territory lived near this point, 1799- 1809. established the first news paper, “The Sentinel of the Northwest Territory”, Cicin nati, November 9, 1793. Published the first book, “The Laws of the Territory of the United States Northwest of the Ohio”, Cincinnati, 1796. It is believed that Maxwell is buried about a mile southwest of here on a knoll just back of the site of his former cabin.
Erected by The Dayton Club of Printing House Craftsmen 1941 designed and built by the Geo. Dodds and Sons Granite Company Xenia, Ohio
This monument was originally erected and dedicated in 1941 by the Dayton Club of Printing House Craftsmen it was located next to Dayton- Xenia Road approximately 500 ft southeast of this site rededicated on this site June 28, 2003 Beavercreek Township Trustees Greene Co.Commissioners Greene Co. Park District Greene Co. Engineering Dept. Greene Co. Historical Society Dayton Club of Printing House Craftsmen Dodds Monuments
Erected 1941 by Dayton Club of Printing House Craftsmen.
Location. 39° 42.312′ N, 83° 59.048′ W. Marker is near Xenia, Ohio
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beaver Cemetery/Church Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); First Courthouse of Greene County (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Sexton Point (approx. 2.9 miles away); Kenton's Gantlet [Gauntlet] (was approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Bullskin Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); Birthplace of Tecumseh (approx. 2.9 miles away); U Mkvwalamakufewa Tikvmfa / Memorial to Tecumtha (approx. 3 miles away); Ten Kentucky Soldiers Memorial (approx. 3 miles away).
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 10, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.