Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Tyler
In 1855, a building was erected to serve as both church and school, but it was soon destroyed in a fire. A second, brick church was built in 1859, and in 1882 was also destroyed by fire. A third sanctuary on North Bois d'Arc Street, home to the congregation since 1886, was dedicated in 1889.
One of the earliest Baptist churches organized in Texas still in existence, it was officially chartered in 1882 as the Baptist Church of Tyler. The name became First Baptist Church of Tyler when it sponsored a mission, now Calvary Baptist Church, in 1888.
The present church structure was built in 1913, during the pastorate of Dr. G. L. Yates. Educational wings were added in 1937, 1959, and 1980. The Beaux Arts style sanctuary features massive columns, pedimented portico, quoins, and full entablatures. Later alterations include modern stained glass windows.
Location. 32° 21.109′ N, 95° 18.176′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of West Ferguson Street and North Bois d'Arc Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Ferguson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 W Ferguson St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Public Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampson Boren Gary (about 400 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Brady P. Gentry (about 500 feet away); Tyler Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away); Tyler Commercial College (about 500 feet away); Thomas R. Bonner (about 500 feet away); City of Tyler (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church Tyler. (Submitted on December 14, 2015.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.