Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
La Casa de los Azulejos
The House of Tiles
La construcción moderna de esta casa (5 de Mayo y Condesa.) mide: 18.25 Mtrs. a partir de esta esquina hacia el Sur y, 23.20 Mtrs. hacia el Oriente, y fué ejecutada en el año 1905 por el Arquitecto Guillermo Heredia.
The modern construction of this house (5 de Mayo and Condesa.) measures: 18.25 meters from this corner to the south and 23.20 meters towards the east. It was completed in 1905 by the Architect Guillermo Heredia.
Erected 1955 by Dirección de Monumentos Coloniales.
Location. 19° 26.077′ N, 99° 8.411′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is at the intersection of 5 de Mayo and Condesa, on the right when traveling east on 5 de Mayo. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); House of José y Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Francisco González Bocanegra (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Golden Rooster Bar (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Calle de las Carreras (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Hotel de la Gran Sociedad Hernán Cortés´ Residences (approx. half a kilometer away); Palace of the Counts of San Mateo Valparaiso (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Regarding La Casa de los Azulejos. This famous house with its exterior covered in tiles was originally built in the 18th century. It was the infamous Jockey Club during the Presidency of Porfirio Diaz, a symbol of the decadence of the era. Starting around 1917, two American brothers started the Sanborn's restaurant chain here.
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.