Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Blanco's Café & Music Box

Uptown Tenderloin Lost Landmarks

 

—1907 - 1940 —

 
Blanco's Café & Music Box Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 17, 2015
1. Blanco's Café & Music Box Marker
Inscription.

French restaurant and “Parlor House”, Blanco's Cafe & Hotel was known as one of San Francisco's popular entertainment spots for the wealthy offering fine food, gambling and fancy women as a house of assignation. The great depression led to its 1933 closing. The Music Box took over in 1936 featuring burlesque performer Sally Rand who enticed clientele with risqué fan dances from 1939 until the establishment's 1940 closing.

Uptown Tenderloin Historic District

 
Location. 37° 47.1′ N, 122° 25.128′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 859 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco CA 94109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 851 O'Farrell Street (a few steps from this marker); Wally Heider Recording - 1969-1980 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sarcophagus of Thomas Starr King (approx. ¼ mile away); Blackhawk Jazz Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Oasis Apartments (approx. ¼ mile away); Cadillac Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hamlin Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
 
Also see . . .
Blanco's Café & Music Box Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 17, 2015
2. Blanco's Café & Music Box Marker
Embedded in the sidewalk in front of the American Music Hall at 859 O'Farrell Street.

1. Great American Music Hall. Jerry's Brokendown Palaces, Thursday, April 12, 2012. (Submitted on December 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

2. Famous in its day: Blanco’s. Restaurant-ing through history, March 8, 2015. (Submitted on December 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Lost Landmarks. This marker is one of 9 Lost Landmark sidewalk plaques authorized by the Board of Supervisors on September 6, 2011. “These ‘Lost Landmark’ sites will greatly illuminate the forgotten history of these San Francisco sites of historic significance; now, therefore be it” (Submitted on December 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEntertainmentIndustry & Commerce
 
859 O'Farrell Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 17, 2015
3. 859 O'Farrell Street
This 2 story brick building designed by A.W. Edelman architect, was build in 1907 and housed Blanco's Café owned by Christopher A. Buckley, “the blind boss”, until 1923. When the restaurant closed in 1933, it was reopened in 1936 by famous stripper Sally Rand as "The Music Box". The Music Box Closed in 1940. In 1950 it was again called Blanco's and in 1968 it was Charles restaurant. It became the Great American Music Hall in 1974.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement