Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wildorado in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Palo Duro Baptist Church

 
 
Palo Duro Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
1. Palo Duro Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Palo Duro Baptist Church has its origins in Union School, which was built by settlers around 1893. Area residents held a non-denominational Sunday school in the facility. In 1901, Baptists living in the Palo Duro community, named for the creek that crosses northeastern Deaf Smith County, held a revival at the school. Shortly thereafter, on October 26, 1901, 12 charter members organized Palo Duro Baptist Church. The Rev. J.F. Killman served as pastor for the congregation, which at first met one weekend a month.

In 1905, area pioneers John and Janette Womble offered property for a church building. The congregation completed a structure in 1906, which was paid for by community donations. Methodists also used the new facility. The congregation grew and declined through its early years, reflecting trends in the area’s population. The church was a charter member of the Amarillo Baptist Association, which formed in 1953. In 1954, Palo Duro Baptist Church participated in a televised service at the KGNC television studio in Amarillo.

Palo Duro Baptist Church has a rich history of giving and outreach. In 1960, the congregation began a Spanish mission for Bracero farm workers; after the program ended, the congregation supported Spanish-speaking congregations in Hereford and Amarillo. The church has also aided shut-ins and the
Palo Duro Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
2. Palo Duro Baptist Church Marker
elderly through gift baskets, hosted orphans from the Buckner’s Baptist Children’s Home, awarded scholarships to students, worked with children with disabilities, participated in prison ministry, and organized local and foreign missions. Today, Palo Duro Baptist Church continues to be a beacon of light in the Texas Panhandle and throughout the world.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16428.)
 
Location. 35° 7.039′ N, 102° 12.188′ W. Marker is near Wildorado, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 809 6.4 miles south of Interstate 40, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is 15 miles north of Dawn on FM 809(address is Wildorado). Marker is at or near this postal address: 5704 FM 809, Wildorado TX 79098, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Umbarger (approx. 12.5 miles away); Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail (approx. 16.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Palo Duro Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
3. Palo Duro Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement