Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Doss in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church

 
 
Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
1. Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Ten charter members constituted Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church in 1901, and Elder S.N. Redford served as pastor from 1901 until 1907. Services were held in homes and in the Squaw Creek School until 1911, when members began meeting in the Bethel Missionary Baptist Church building, which they purchased in 1924. New facilities were constructed over time to meet the congregationís needs. A brush arbor at the rear of the property sheltered meetings of the Friendship Association of Primitive Baptists. Meetings began in 1963 on the third weekend in July. The Squaw Creek church continues to serve the Doss Valley and Primitive Baptists across the state.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12788.)
 
Location. 30° 26.669′ N, 99° 7.235′ W. Marker is near Doss, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on Ranch to Market Road 648 0.6 miles east of Ranch to Market Road 783, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Peter Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lange's Mill (approx. 2.2 miles away);
Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
2. Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church
View to south across Ranch Road 648
John O. Meusebach (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Marschall - Meusebach Cemetery (approx. 7.8 miles away); Diedrich Rode Complex (approx. 8Ĺ miles away); Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 8Ĺ miles away); Old Cherry Spring School (approx. 8.8 miles away); Bethel M.E. Church (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Doss.
 
Also see . . .  Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church - Doss, Texas. From the Primitive Baptist Online website. (Submitted on December 20, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
View to West from Ranch Road 648 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
3. View to West from Ranch Road 648
St. Peter Lutheran Church in the town of Doss is visible at a distance on the right side of the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement