Riceboro in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First African Baptist Church
In 1861 the black members formed their own church organization and the first black pastor was the Reverend Charles Thin. On July 20, 1878 the North Newport Church sold the building to A. M. McIver for $225 for use by the First African Baptist Church.
One of the early white pastors of this church was the Reverend Josiah Spry Law to whom a cenotaph was erected here in 1854 by both blacks and whites.
Three other neighboring churches have been formed from the membership of this church: First Zion Baptist Church in 1870, First African Baptist Church of Jones in 1896, and Baconton Baptist Church in 1897.
Erected 1996 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 44.846′ N, 81° 27.775′ W. Marker is in Riceboro, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Riceboro GA 31323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riceborough (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lambert Plantation (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Post Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Simon Munro (approx. 2.8 miles away); General James Screven (approx. 3.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 3.2 miles away); Woodmanston Plantation (approx. 3.3 miles away); New Life For Dorchester Academy 1932-1940 (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riceboro.
Also see . . . Reverend Josiah Spry Law. Georgia Baptists: Historical and Biographical By Jesse Harrison ...Page 322-326 (Submitted on July 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.