Channing in Hartley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hartley County Courthouse
In October 1896, largely due to XIT Ranch interests, a second election was held which resulted in the removal of the county seat to Channing. The frame courthouse was dismantled and moved to the new county seat, where it was reconstructed.
In May 1905 the commissioners court approved the construction of a new courthouse. Contracts were awarded to Solan & Wickens, contractors, and O. G. Roquemore, architect. The 2-story, structure was completed in October 1906 at a cost of $10,525. The Beaux Arts style building features a triumphal arch on the front facade, native sandstone base, and Roman Ionic paired columns. When completed, the top story provided a courtroom and two offices, and there were five offices and a lobby on the first floor. At the time of construction, the building was served by its own water well and lighting system. A vault was added to the county clerk's office in 1927. A second vault and jury dormitories were built in 1935.
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2400.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 South Main Street, Channing TX 79018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Matador Cowboys Reunion Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Channing United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); XIT General Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cal Farley's Boys Ranch (approx. 10.9 miles away); The Historic LS (approx. 10.9 miles away); Old Tascosa (approx. 10.9 miles away); Oldham County (approx. 10.9 miles away); Boot Hill Cemetery (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Channing.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 23, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.