Tiburon in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Dr. Lyford's Stone Tower
Architecturally, the tower is a fine example of the simplified form of Richardson Romanesque built in local cut ashlar sandstone, according to Dr. Joseph A. Baird, Jr., architectural historian.
Dr. Lyford's "Hygeia" was the first subdivision of the Tiburon Peninsula. Married to the owner of the land, the former Hilarita Reed, his tract skirted the edge of the Bay for several miles at Point Tiburon. Part of the Mexican land grant Rancho Corte Madera dei Presidio, "Hygeia" was planned for a townsite and suburban homes. Streets were given Spanish names that survive today. "Vistazo" for view, "Solano" for sunshine, "Diviso" for dividing, "Mar East" for east sea.
Through the efforts of the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society, a campaign was launched to preserve the
Tiburon Heritage Commission, 1980
Erected 1980 by Tiburon Heritage Commission.
Location. 37° 52.406′ N, 122° 26.951′ W. Marker is in Tiburon, California, in Marin County. Marker can be reached from Paradise Drive north of Mar West Street. Touch for map. Parking nearby will probably be very difficult. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2034 Paradise Drive, Belvedere Tiburon CA 94920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northwestern Pacific (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Blake Chapman (approx. 0.4 miles away); McNeil’s Pioneer Boathouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); The “Harbor Light” (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1925 Victorian Saloon (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Yeh Jau Liu (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fleming Rooming House (approx. half a mile away); 1895 Ark Houseboat (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiburon.
Also see . . . LYFORD'S TOWER - Atlas Obscura. (Submitted on December 24, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 24, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.