Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Casper - Natrona County - State Founding
The first act to separate Natrona county from Carbon County was presented to the Wyoming legislature in 1888. The county was officially organized on April 8 1890. Natrona County derives its name from the mineral, natron, which is carbonate of soda.
The Territory of Wyoming was formed on July 25, 1868, after separating from the Territory of Dakota. In 1869, the first Territorial Legislature passed the first Woman’s Suffrage Bill in the Union, thus allowing women in Wyoming the right to vote. Wyoming became a state on July 10, 1890. The word, Wyoming, comes from a Delaware Indian word meaning “Upon the Great Plain.
Erected by Natrona County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 50.17′ N, 106° 22.339′ W. Marker is in Casper, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker can be reached from Fort Caspar Road near Herold Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 Fort Caspar Road, Bruneau ID 83604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Salt Creek Oil Field (here, next to this marker); Eadsville (here, next to this marker); Railroads (here, next to this marker); Ellen L. Watson (“Cattle Kate”) (a few steps from this marker); Civilian Conservation Corps (a few steps from this marker); Casper Army Air Base (a few steps from this marker); Goose Egg Ranch (a few steps from this marker); Ranching in Wyoming (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Casper.
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Wyoming history walk in Centennial Park, which is adjacent to the Fort Caspar Museum and shares the parking lot.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.