Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second Bank of the United States
Here stands the Second Bank of the United States. Established in 1816 to hold government deposits and regulate currency, it dominated American finance for more than a decade.
The temple-like bank had both priest and heretics. Bank President Nicholas Biddle preached the value of the bank, while U.S. President Andrew Jackson decried it as a “hydra of corruption.” The “temple” was looted of its treasure when Jackson vetoed the recharter of the bank, distributing government deposits to smaller banks.
Now, long after the passions of finance and philosophy have subsided, we recognize the architecture—not the institution—as the real treasure of the Bank. Designed by William Strickland, it has been called the finest example of Greek Revival architecture in the United States.
Erected by Independence National Historical Park.
Location. 39° 56.895′ N, 75° 8.894′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Independence Mall. Touch for map. Marker is near the southeast corner of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quaker Meeting House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Morris (1734 - 1806) (within shouting distance of this marker); A Street Scene in the Capital City (within shouting distance of this marker); Philosophical Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Quaker School Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Philadelphia Bank Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Signer (about 300 feet away); Carpenters' Hall (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
More about this marker. Photos of President Andrew Jackson and Bank President Nicholas Biddle.
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on May 8, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.