San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Defense of The Alamo
“Thermopylae had its messenger of defeat; The Alamo had none.”
“It was here that a gallant few, the bravest of the brave, threw themselves between the enemy and the settlements, determined never to surrender nor retreat. They redeemed their pledge to Texas with the forfeit of their lives - they fell the chosen sacrifice to Texas Freedom. — Newell
Location. 29° 25.505′ N, 98° 29.189′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Alamo Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); San Antonio Section - National Council of Jewish Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Barbed Wire Demonstration (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Menger Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . The Alamo Website. In the early 1800s, the Spanish military stationed a cavalry unit at the former [Misión San Antonio de Valero]. The soldiers referred to the old mission as the Alamo (the Spanish word for “cottonwood”) in honor of their hometown Alamo de Parras, Coahuila. The post’s commander established the first recorded hospital in Texas in the Long Barrack. The Alamo was home to both Revolutionaries and Royalists during Mexico's ten-year struggle for independence. The military—Spanish, Rebel, and then Mexican—continued to occupy the Alamo until the Texas Revolution. (Submitted on July 22, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,571 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.