Great Cyclone at Fort Smith
A cyclone, carrying death and destruction in its wake, visited Fort Smith at 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 1898. Out of the western skies on an unusually balmy night came first an epic show of lightning followed by heavy winds. Then with the roar of a thousand freight trains a tornado of great proportion sprang from the Indian Territory, leaping over the Arkansas River and striking first at the National Cemetery then turning its force on Garrison Avenue, cutting a mile-long, 500 yard swath of destruction through Fort Smith. Property damage was placed at half a million dollars. As a beautiful morning dawned on January 12th, 55 people were dead or dying and 113 were seriously injured.
Erected 2012 by City of Fort Smith and Others.
Location. 35° 23.1′ N, 94° 25.299′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is at the intersection of Garrison Avenue and 10th Street, on the right when traveling west on Garrison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 North 10th Street, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The New Theatre in 1911 (within shouting distance of this marker); United Spanish War Veterans Memorial
More about this marker. The markers in this series are placed so that viewers can only read them from the sidewalk while facing the historical subject of the marker.
Also see . . .
1. 1898 Cyclone at Fort Smith AR. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historical plaques placed in downtown Fort Smith. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Disasters •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.