First National Bank
In 1888, First National Bank built its first bank building, a modest two-story brick building at South Sixth and Garrison. A few years into the 20th century, bank president Samuel McLoud ordered plans drawn up for what would be the tallest building in Fort Smith to replace the old bank. The new building would utilize the most modern designs to ensure customer comfort, efficiency of operation and the protection of deposits. The landmark eight-story First National Bank building opened Jan. 31, 1910, the lobby awash in white marble, electric lights and ceiling fans, the custom tile floor accessorized with heavy brass spittoons. One hundred years later, First National Bank remained our largest financial institution and the second oldest bank in Arkansas.
Erected 2012 by City of Fort Smith and Others.
Location. 35° 23.247′ N, 94° 25.52′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is at the intersection of Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64) and 6th Street (Arkansas Highway 255), on the right when traveling west on Garrison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 Garrison Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
More about this marker. The markers in this series are placed so that viewers can only read them from the sidewalk while facing the historical subject of the marker.
Also see . . .
1. First National Bank of Fort Smith. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historical plaques placed in downtown Fort Smith. (Submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.