The Ocean City Historic District
On October 20, 1879, Simon Lake, Ezra B. Lake, S. Wesley Lake, James E. Lake, William Burrell and William B. Wood, met to dedicate this island as a Christian seaside resort and to incorporate the Ocean City Association. By October 1880, a total of forty-eight buildings had been constructed around a prayer meeting area bounded by 5th and 6th Streets and Wesley and Asbury Avenues.
Many more structures were erected during the 1880’s and 1890’s that reflected the Victorian architecture popular during the era. Many of these buildings still stand and make up our historic district.
Location. 39° 17.055′ N, 74° 33.996′ W. Marker is in Ocean City, New Jersey, in Cape May County. Marker is at the intersection of Wesley Avenue and E. 3rd Street on Wesley Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ocean City NJ 08226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Ocean City Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ocean City Tabernacle
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.