Collinsville in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Collinsville, Town of Canton
Central New England Railroad
Central New England Railroad had several names but started in 1871 and ended in 1927. It ran from Hartford, Connecticut to Millerton, New York. The train came into this High Street Junction (on Dyer Avenue) from Simsbury. The passenger station was on River Road and originally a horse car on tracks brought passengers to and from the Dyer Avenue Station. Eventually, a plan was devised for a WYE and the train BACKED down to River Road to pick up passengers. It then continued west toward New Hartford. The building standing today on Dyer Avenue was the freight station and has been moved a slight distance from its original location.
Location. 41° 49.167′ N, 72° 54.983′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker can be reached from Dyer Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is located on the Farmington River Trail, 0.4 miles west of the parking lot on route 179 (River Road). Marker is in this post office area: Canton CT 06019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Constitution Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canton Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charter Oak Offspring Collinsville- Railroad from both sides (approx. 0.7 miles away); Canton Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Collins Company Plow Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Collinsville’s Powerhouse Station No. 3 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
Also see . . .
1. The history and map of the Railway. (Submitted on February 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. A wye description. (Submitted on February 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.