Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forrest City in Saint Francis County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Forrest’s Camp

Birth of a City

 
 
Forrest’s Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 13, 2006
1. Forrest’s Camp Marker
Inscription. In 1866 General Nathan Bedford Forrest, along with about 1,000 workmen, pitched camp in the vicinity of what is now Front Street on land belonging to the Izard and Prewett families. By 1868 they had succeeded in making a cut through Crowley’s Ridge and laying track for the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad. The county surveyor, John C. Hill, drew the plat for a town on March 1, 1869, and on May 11, 1870, the community was officially incorporated as Forrest City. Within a year trains were running regularly, and Front Street was thriving business district. By 1892 most of the buildings were brick, and many of those early brick structures are still a part of this historic site.
 
Location. 35° 0.499′ N, 90° 47.084′ W. Marker is in Forrest City, Arkansas, in Saint Francis County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street (State Highway 18) and Front Street, on the left when traveling south on South Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forrest City AR 72335, United States of America.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Forrest City downtown building image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 13, 2006
2. Forrest City downtown building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement