Orwell in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Bastion of the Revolution
Erected by Vermont Society Sons of the American Revolution in observance of the Bicentennial year of Independence, 1976.
Erected 1976 by Vermont Society Sons of the American
Marker series. This marker is included in the Battlefield Trails - Revolutionary War, and the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 43° 49.225′ N, 73° 23.167′ W. Marker is in Orwell, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker can be reached from Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in the picnic grounds of Mount Independence State Historic Site, near the Visitor Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 497 Mount Independence Road, Orwell VT 05760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southern Defense Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lake Champlain and the American Revolution (approx. ľ mile away); German Hut – 1777 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The American Southern Defenses – 1776-1777 (approx. 0.3 miles away); British Blockhouse - 1777 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southern Battery – 1777 (approx. 0.4 miles away); To Repel the Enemy (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Hospital – 1777 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orwell.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers are found on the walking trails in Mount Independence State Historic Site.
Also see . . . Mount Independence State Historic Site. Vermont State Historic Sites. (Submitted on July 18, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,621 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.