San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Famed for its excellent meals and beautiful patio garden, the Menger was San Antonio’s most prominent hotel in the 19th century. It attracted many well known visitors and was periodically enlarged and remodeled to accommodate more guests. Cattlemen such as Richard King stayed here during the era of the great cattle drives. Other guests included Generals U. S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, and John Pershing; Poet Sidney Lanier; Writer O. Henry (William Sidney Porter); and performers at the Grand Opera House across the plaza. Theodore Roosevelt recruited has regiment of “Rough Riders” for the Spanish-American War at the Menger in 1898.
Purchased in 1943 by W. L. Moody, Jr., the hotel was further expanded in 1966-67 to cover the entire block.
Erected 1976 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14189.)
Location. 29° 25.48′ N, 98° 29.193′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on East Crockett Street just east of Alamo Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barbed Wire Demonstration (a few steps from this marker); San Antonio Section - National Council of Jewish Women (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Menger Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); The Defense of The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,000 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on February 28, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.