Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
From Social Center to Civic Center
Buﬀalo History and Architecture
— Niagara Square North —
The Square was enlarged and reshaped to accomodate Buffalo's memorial to President William McKinley, who was assassinated in 1901 while attending the city's Pan-American Exposition. The monument, dedicated on September 6, 1907, was designed by Carrere & Hastings, the Exposition's chief architects. Chicago architect Daniel Burnham, with whom they had worked on the 1893 Columbian
For many years, the sole surviving residence from Niagara Square's social era was the 1852 Italianate Balcom-Chandler house, northwest of City Hall. Built by brick manufacturer Philo Balcom, the house in 1865 became the home of Henry Chandler, poet, artist, engraver, and inventor. It was demolished in 2007 to make way for a new federal courthouse designed by the renowned architectural firm of Kohn Pederson Fox. The new glass tower will complete the transition of the Square, the center-piece of the Joseph Ellicott Historic District, from social center to civic center, surrounded by municipal, county, state, and federal buildings.
After former President Fillmore's death in 1987, his palatial family home was merged with an adjacent property to form the Fillmore Hotel. In 1901, it became the Castle Inn, "bosomed in trees, and jealous of its historic past"; later it was demolished to make way for the Statler Hotel.
Built in 1923, the Statler was the second in Ellsworth Statler's hotel chain, which was founded in Buffalo. At 19 stories, the then tallest building in
In the 20th century, construction of several large buildings blocked some of the Square's eight radial streets. In 1901, Delaware Avenue, undisturbed, linked the heart of the city to the 350-acre Exposition site, four miles north at Olmsted-designed Delaware Park. At the peak of Buffalo's prosperity, Delaware Avenue, part of Olmsted and Vaux's parkway network, supplanted Niagara Square as social center and, lines by palatial villas and towering elms, became a magnificent example of the "City Beautiful" philosophy. Street widening in 1924 altered the parklike nature of the avenue, but a two-block section of mansions between North and Bryant streets is still known as "Millionares' Row" and is a National Register Historic District.
1) Joseph Ellicott
2) Millard Fillmore House
3) Architectural rendering of the new federal courthouse
4) Balcom-Chandler House
5) Statler Towers
Erected by Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo 21st Century Fund in collaboration with Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier, et al.
Location. 42° 53.203′ N, 78° 52.688′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Niagara Square and Delaware Avenue (New York State Route 384), in the median. Marker is at the north perimeter of the paved walking circle around the McKinley Monument at the center of Niagara Square. The marker faces the monument. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buffalo Burns!!! (a few steps from this marker); Niagara Square (within shouting distance of this marker); William McKinley (within shouting distance of this marker); From Frontier to Major City / Buffalo City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); "...With Liberty and Justice for All." (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Legacy of Abundant Water (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Manning Welch (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles R. Turner (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers with information about Joseph Ellicott, Frederick Law Olmsted and Samuel Wilkeson, followed by the McKinley Monument and the Eillicott Square Building.
Categories. • Architecture •
More. Search the internet for From Social Center to Civic Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.