“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Mayfair Country Club

Mayfair Country Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
1. Mayfair Country Club Marker
The Mayfair Country Club is a portion of a 20,000 acre tract of land purchased in 1848 for $40.00 by General Joseph Finegan, who later became the commander of the Confederate forces in their victory at Olustee, Florida. In 1870 Henry Sanford purchased the tract and in 1878 sold a portion to Charles Amory. Amory, a retired sea captain, cleared much the land, planted citrus trees and the double row of oak trees that still line the main entrance. He built a ship-shaped house, a part of which is the Mayfair clubhouse.

The City of Sanford bought 152 acres in 1922 and hired noted golf architect Donald Ross to design an 18 hole municipal golf course, which opened in October 1922 as the Sanford Country Club, with only 4 holes completed. In September 1924 the entire course was opened with greens fees of $1.00 a day for visitors, $.50 for city residents and 30 daily tickets for $20.00. Due to financial hardships the city leased the course from 1928 until 1932, when it resumed control with financial pledges from local businessmen. Resident managers during that period included Ed Levy, Andy Caraway, Tom Bolt, and Ray Lundquist.
Mayfair Country Club Marker reverse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
2. Mayfair Country Club Marker reverse
on back…
…Continued from front…
After World War II the city leased the club to local businessman Hugh Whelchel. The New York Giants baseball club, which had its spring training headquarters in Sanford from 1948 to 1959, bought the lease in 1953 and renamed the course Mayfair Country Club. From 1958 through 1961 the course was on the professional golf tour and played to many noted golfers including Gene Sarazen, Walter Hagen, Julius Boros, Sam Snead, Babe Zaharias and Arnold Palmer.

When the Giants left in 1965 the lease reverted to Mike Whelchel, son of the original lessee, who in 1972 subleased it to the trio of John Pierce, Howard McNulty & George Billups, until Jack Daniels assumed control 1981.
Erected 1998 by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 46.833′ N, 81° 19.145′ W. Marker is near Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from Country Club Road 0.4 miles south of H.E. Thomas Jr Parkway. Marker is located near the clubhouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3536 Country Club Rd, Sanford FL 32773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Upsala Swedish Community (approx. one mile away); Belair Historical Marker (approx.
Mayfair Country Club Marker with country club building image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
3. Mayfair Country Club Marker with country club building
one mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lake Mary Historic Sites (approx. 1.6 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 2.7 miles away); Goldsboro (approx. 2.7 miles away); Oviedo Turntable (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fixed Signal (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesSports

More. Search the internet for Mayfair Country Club.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement