Windermere in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
1887 Windermere Schoolhouse
Opened in 1887, this structure is the only surviving one-room school house in Orange County, and one of the few still standing in Florida. The Frame Vernacular building, capped with a metal roof, was communally constructed using locally milled heartwood from Florida long leaf pine. A well dug near the front door remains. Maude Adams, one of the first full-time teachers, educated generations of settlers and town builders within these walls. Ms. Adams received a salary of $22 per month for the education of 22 pupils. The students ranged from grades K-12 and were the children of citrus grove owners and workers. During the early 20th century, the schoolhouse served as headquarters for the local Board of Trade, a Women's Club, a Union Church, a polling station, and a meeting hall. The building ceased to be used as a schoolhouse in 1916 when a larger schoolhouse complex was established. In 1918, Lloyd and Minnie Armstrong acquired the schoolhouse and the surrounding property from real estate developer Cal Palmer. The Armstrong family altered the building into a "cracker style" home by attaching two sleeping wings and a broad covered porch.
Erected 2015 by The Windermere Historical Preservation Board, Windermere Garden Club, Windermere Parks and Recreation, Mary Frances Fischer-Howard & Family, John & Deanna Armstrong, Mayor Gary & Kay Bruhn, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-867.)
Location. 28° 29.584′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 West 7th Ave, Windermere FL 34786, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Windermere Town Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Liberty Tree (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Liberty Bell (approx. 5.9 miles away); Winter Garden Downtown Historic District (approx. 5.9 miles away); Pounds Motor Company (approx. 5.9 miles away); Carver Court Public Housing Complex (approx. 9 miles away); Orlando's First Settler, Aaron Jernigan (approx. 9.1 miles away); a different marker also named Carver Court Public Housing Complex (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.