Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orlando in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke

 
 
The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 23, 2015
1. The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke Marker
Inscription. Francis Wayles Eppes, grandson of President Thomas Jefferson, moved from Tallahassee to Orlando in 1869. Eppes was the first pioneer to gather Episcopal settlers in the area for worship. They purchased this site at the corner of Jefferson Street, so named after Eppe's grandfather, in 1882 for $300 and built a small wood frame church. In 1884 Saint Luke became a parish church. In October 1892, the Missionary Jurisdiction of Southern Florida was established, and Rt. Rev. William Crane Gray became its first bishop. In 1902, Saint Luke became the cathedral for his jurisdiction. In 1922, Saint Luke continued as the cathedral for the newly admitted Episcopal Diocese of South Florida. This Gothic Revival building was designed by architect Phillip H. Frohman, who also served as the chief architect of the Washington National Cathedral. Construction began in 1925. In 1970, the Diocese of South Florida was divided with Saint Luke continuing as the cathedral for the Diocese of Central Florida. Saint Luke Cathedral's choirs have toured the world as cultural ambassadors of the United States and the City of Orlando.
 
Erected 2015 by Members of the Cathederal Church of Saint Luke and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-859.)
 
Location. 28° 
The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke Marker with church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 23, 2015
2. The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke Marker with church
32.669′ N, 81° 22.657′ W. Marker is in Orlando, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of North Magnolia Avenue and East Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north on North Magnolia Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 N Magnolia Ave, Orlando FL 32801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mathew Robinson Marks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orlando Reeves (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (approx. 0.4 miles away); J. P. Musselwhite & Family (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Soldiers, The Sailors, The Statesmen (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orlando.
 
Also see . . .  The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke. (Submitted on March 17, 2016.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement