Dalhart in Dallam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dallam County Courthouse
Ten years later, when the Rock Island Railroad built a line through the county, the new town of Dalhart was established where the Rock Island and Fort Worth and Denver City rail lines crossed. The county commissioners court voted to move the county seat to Dalhart in 1903, and in May that year an election was held to approve bonds for a courthouse.
County government soon outgrew the 1903 building, and in 1922 the voters approved more bonds for a new courthouse. Designed by the Amarillo architectural firm of Smith & Townes, this Classical Revival structure was completed in 1923. Built of brick with cast stone detailing, the building rises from a rusticated ground floor to more finely detailed upper stories, and features Ionic columns, curvilinear parapets, and denticulated cornice. A fine example of its style, the courthouse continues to serve the citizens of Dalhart and Dallam County.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical
Location. 36° 3.684′ N, 102° 31.361′ W. Marker is in Dalhart, Texas, in Dallam County. Marker is on East 5th Street west of Denver Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 Denrock Ave, Dalhart TX 79022, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Sesquicentennial (here, next to this marker); James R. Fox, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); St. James Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dalhart Army Air Field (approx. ¼ mile away); Mrs. Cordia Sloan Duke (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Heartland of Old XIT Ranch (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Dallam County (approx. 2.5 miles away); Hartley County (approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalhart.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.