Stinnett in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hutchinson County Courthouse
The county courthouse was temporarily housed in an office building in downtown Stinnett in 1926 before this courthouse was erected in 1927 at a time of major oil discoveries in the area. Designed by Amarillo architect W. C. Townes and built by local contractor C. S. Lambie & Company, the Spanish renaissance revival style building also housed the county jail. It features brick construction with cut-stone ornamentation, a 3-bay primary facade with grand entry bay, raised basement with end entries, metal sash windows and second floor window with round-arch stone lintels. Friezes at the east and west entrances of the courthouse depict the petroleum, farm and ranch, and cattle industries,
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2602.)
Location. 35° 49.644′ N, 101° 26.554′ W. Marker is in Stinnett, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Main Street, Stinnett TX 79083, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isaac McCormick Cottage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Battle of Adobe Walls (approx. 4½ miles away); Plemons Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Bents Creek (approx. 5.9 miles away); Battle of Adobe Walls (approx. 5.9 miles away); Fritz Thompson Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away); Drift Fence (approx. 8.9 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stinnett.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.