The Phoenix Block
From 1836 to 1878, the log cabin of Jeremiah and Sophia Kannady stood on the present-day 500 block of Garrison Avenue. In that cabin Kannady's uncle John Rogers, founder of the city, died in 1860. In 1877, Kannady sold land around his cabin to make room for new commercial buildings. A wood-frame building at Garrison and North 5th was occupied by Berman's Dry Goods, when a two-story brick building for the confectioners Guler & Brunoldi and the general merchandise store of Haglin & Pape was completed next to it in Sept. 1877. More buildings would be built east to the alley. A unified brick complex nicknamed the Phoenix Block rose from the ashes and was completed by April 1884. The elegant cornices of galvanized iron were manufactured in Fort Smith by August Reichert.
Erected 2012 by City of Fort Smith and Others.
Location. 35° 23.244′ N, 94° 25.545′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is on Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64) east of 5th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 Garrison Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank (within shouting distance of this
Also see . . . Historical plaques placed in downtown Fort Smith. (Submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.