Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
East Ward Elementary School
On Nov. 15, 1926, H.H. Shell and son from Lubbock were chosen as contractor, and M.C. Butler from Oklahoma City was chosen as architect for the city’s schools. In 1927, East Ward, West Ward, Weatherly, Borger High School, and a gymnasium were erected. East Ward housed 200 pupils and was a brick and tile structure with five classrooms, a study hall, and an office. Of the original buildings, East Ward is the only one still standing.
As the population of Borger grew, particularly during World War II, so did the schools. East Ward and Weatherly both saw additions including classrooms, a cafeteria, and auditoriums. In 1957, East Ward was renamed James Bowie Elementary. In July 1965, Booker T. Washington School, a school for African Americans,
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16744.)
Location. 35° 40.537′ N, 101° 23.278′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on East 9th Street west of North Harvey Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East 9th Street, Borger TX 79007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twentieth Century Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Ace Borger Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Borger 1929 Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Methodist Church of Borger (approx. 0.7 miles away); Girl Scout Little House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.