Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Twentieth Century Club
In early 1927 McBride arranged a meeting of several of her women friends to consider an offer by a sales representative of Berle's Twentieth Century Self-Culture Company to subscribe to a monthly book plan. McBride and her friends accepted and later that year organized the Twentieth Century Club of Borger.
The club became a Federated Woman's Club and opened a subscription library on Borger's main street in 1928. The club sponsored fundraising activities, such as the exchange of books for movie tickets and women's basketball contests to augment their library collection.
Club members' efforts to establish a county library in nearby Stinnett in 1937 resulted in the building of a highly praised native adobe brick branch library here by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938. The Twentieth Century Club helped open another branch library in nearby Fritch in 1967 and continues to be a positive influence in the county's library system.
Erected 1993 by
Location. 35° 40.361′ N, 101° 23.334′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on North Weatherly Street south of East 7th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 625 North Weatherly Street, Borger TX 79007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Borger 1929 Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quanah Parker Trail (about 300 feet away); East Ward Elementary School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ace Borger Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. half a mile away); First Methodist Church of Borger (approx. half a mile away); Girl Scout Little House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.